Our new multidisciplinary course is designed for those seeking to develop their skills and knowledge in public health. Whether you already work in public health or want to move into this field, our course can prepare you for contemporary public health practice that addresses traditional and emerging issues that threaten to negatively impact communities and the environment.
The Master of Public Health teaches students a range of conceptual knowledge and practical skills to support public health action across educational, organizational, socio-economic, environmental and political domains to improve population health. You will gain a thorough grounding in the major areas of public health with content scaffolded across the course to enhance your learning. In the second year, you will have the opportunity to carry out research with an academic supervisor or enhance your practice and leadership skills.
Course content is aligned to the competencies from the Council of Academic Public Health Institutions Australasia, exploring:
- Health monitoring and surveillance
- Disease prevention and control
- Health promotion
- Health protection
- Health policy, planning and management
- Evidence-informed professional population health practice.
Our Master of Public Health students come from a variety of fields, including medicine and allied health, biomedical and laboratory-based sciences, nutrition, occupational and environmental health, health promotion, social sciences, education, communications, business and management.
Note: It is possible to exit this course with a Graduate Certificate in Public Health or a Graduate Diploma in Public Health once you have completed certain units. Other certificates and diplomas may also be available in combination with this course.
Note: There is an optional fieldwork component in this course.
How this course will make you industry ready
- The curriculum is designed from a global public health perspective. You will be collaborating with peers from all over the world.
- There are a number of study options available including fully online, full-time or part-time study.
- You will acquire important knowledge and skills, which will benefit you from day one and help you make a difference in your current role.
- You will be taught by highly qualified and experienced teaching staff.
What you’ll learn
- Apply research-based specialised knowledge including recent developments in public health together with applicable research principles and methods
- Reflect critically on theoretical knowledge, public health scholarship, advocacy and professional practice
- Investigate, analyse and synthesize complex information and problems that impact directly or indirectly on public health outcomes
- Interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies, conclusions and professional decisions to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- Evaluate the applicability of existing and emerging technologies for public health practice
- Apply knowledge and skills to new situations in the course of public health practice leading to further learning
- Critically evaluate the impact of environmental and geographical context, local institutions and culture on public health outcomes
- Articulate, defend and apply a theoretical understanding of social justice implicit in public health practice
- Demonstrate a high level of personal autonomy and accountability when interacting with diverse individuals, communities and organisations as an advocate/champion of public health
Why study Master of Public Health?
This course will teach you how to effectively plan, implement and evaluate public health programs in a variety of settings. You will learn to measure public health and explore major problems in both developed and developing countries.
The curriculum is designed from a global public health perspective. You will be collaborating with peers from all over the world and will be taught by highly qualified and experienced teaching staff. Our students come from a variety of fields, including medicine and allied health, biomedical and laboratory-based sciences, nutrition, occupational and environmental health, health
promotion, social sciences, education, communications, business and management.
February or July
1/2 – 1 Year (Graduate Certificate in Public Health)
Graduate Certificate in Public Health
CRICOS code: 079914E
Master of Public Health
CRICOS code: 064462G
View course information disclaimer
This page was last updated on 17 November 2023