This internet browser is outdated and does not support all features of this site. Please switch or upgrade to a different browser to display this site properly.

Leave of absence

You are expected to continue your studies continuously once you are admitted to your course. However, we understand that you may wish to take a break from study because of unforeseen circumstances. As such you may be entitled to take a leave of absence from your course.

  • If you have not yet commenced your undergraduate course you may request to defer your offer by emailing to Admissions Office or International Admissions.
  • If you have commenced or are studying a postgraduate course (completed at least one unit in the program), you may apply for a leave of absence (LOA).

Before applying for a leave of absence we recommend you speak with a Counsellor or the Head of Department to discuss your options.

Leave of Absence is usually offered for either six months or one year.

International students are entitled to only a maximum of one semester of approved Leave of   Absence from their course.  “In accordance with Malaysian Immigration Act 1963 13(4)(b), international students are required to cancel their Student Pass Visa prior to leaving the University”.  Their student visa will be cancelled if their Leave of Absence has been approved and they are required to apply for a new visa prior to returning to study. Contact International Student Office for more information.

For Higher degree by research, you need to complete an HDR Application for Leave of Absence and submit it to Graduate School.

Student eligibility

To be eligible to apply for Leave of Absence (LOA), a student must be currently enrolled in a course of study at the University and have been an enrolled student on the census date in their first semester.

Withdrawing without Leave of Absence

If you withdraw from all units prior to the Census Date and you do not have an approved leave of absence in place you will not have maintained continuity of enrolment and your course status may be changed to Absent Without Leave (AWOL).

You may lose your place in the course and will be required to re-apply to the course when you wish to return.

Submit your LOA

You will received advice via your student webmail advising you of your LOA status.

Applications for Leave of Absence can be accepted up to the census date of the relevant study period in which leave is being requested.

Applications submitted after census date should not be considered for Leave of Absence, but considered for “Withdrawal ” only. You have to apply for LOA prior to the withdrawal dateline.